Tips to Safely Heat Your Home This Winter

November 02, 2016

Annually, over 20,000 people end up in the emergency room because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.

Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is produced by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the winter months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your family safe, Wesley Wood Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety warm your home.

 

  • Install a CO detector on all floors of your home and replace the batteries yearly.
  • Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a minimum of three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
  • Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to verify the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
  • Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Turn off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
  • Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and furbabies away from space heaters.
  • When purchasing a new space heater, buy a model that powers off automatically if the heater falls over.
  • Never use a oven to increase the temperature in your home.
  • Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally examined and cleaned every year.

 

The best thing you can do for your heating system is to be sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your home warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your furnace tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Wesley Wood Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 484-401-7577 today and ask how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.

Contact Us