When bad weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair professional to check your system after the storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations were worth the time.
At Wesley Wood Service Experts, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time may not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during bad weather. Just be sure you have turned the system totally off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to go back out of your home, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Wesley Wood Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in West Chester, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for threatening weather in West Chester or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 484-401-7577 or schedule an appointment with Wesley Wood Service Experts through our online scheduler.