Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping your home’s air cool, which means that any time you allow heat back into the home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it needs to. While the air conditioner is your go-to for cooler air, there are a number of things you can do, other than of air conditioner service, to help keep the West Chester heat out and help your air conditioner thrive during the rest of the summer.
Here are a few tips from Wesley Wood Service Experts to help keep hot air out of your home:
- Block out the sun. Quite a bit of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by utilizing solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The areas in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Inspect your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can do a sophisticated comfort performance assessment for you to uncover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Check your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that may be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven add a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave versus your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that might produce heat for evenings after the temperature outside drops. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances a rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help protect from the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also give you shade and repel some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The biggest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After learning about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the ideal option could simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips we’ve listed, it could mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is running as it should be and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than you have to. Give Wesley Wood Service Experts in West Chester or set up an appointment online to have a pro check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s running properly.