Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your residence, being cozy in your new room regardless of outdoor temperatures is a priority. However, they can create a unique challenge for comfort. This is because adding ductwork is pricey. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the higher load, because it was sized without taking the addition into consideration.
One of the most affordable possibilities is to add a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Find out more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition could be a good fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, as they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient as they move heat to make your space cozier. In actuality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for additional rebates and reduce your utility bills for many years.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Since each room usually has an individual indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. As an instance, a mini-split AC is particularly useful if you have a area with precise temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Having a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that are without ductwork. Here are a couple reasons why it’s smarter than adding ductwork and using your present heating and cooling system.
- Adding ductwork is costly. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the precise amount will depend on your home, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system could become overwhelmed. When your current heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your home in advance of the addition. This can stress your system and make it fail more rapidly.
- Your comfort might suffer. As your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort might suffer if your system has to cover a bigger area. Your heating and cooling might be less powerful, and your utility bills could become costlier as a result of the system needing to run more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like traditional systems, mini-splits are available in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Wesley Wood Service Experts, we’ll help you select the right size for your new area. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create sizable energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or more when correctly tuned up. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Wesley Wood Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you choose the ideal model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Wesley Wood Service Experts can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide support. Contact us at 484-401-7577 today to request a free consultation and estimate.